Saturday, July 2, 2011

Monsters Inc, Kashma, Remedy and Guys

How can this blog's headline NOT intrigue you?

Monsters Inc
I love this movie. The other day I watched (most of) it in Turkish. I still love this movie. BOOM.

Kashma
She's my new 14-year-old Kurdish friend. She's so sweet and her English is pretty good (much better than the intro English class that I co-taught and that she was enrolled in).

A few nights ago I went to her father's kabob restaurant, along with Kierstin (a teacher at the Life Center) and Kashma's mom and aunt. IT WAS SO DELICIOUS. He kept bringing out chicken, vegetables, chicken wings, naan, and some other meat for us to eat.

The restaurant, I think, was just for men, but because I was with the owner's wife and daughter it was ok to be there. It's still strange to me that they still have so much separation on where men and women can go. We did get kicked out after about an hour because we were taking business from him (we took up two tables and weren't paying, so this was completely understandable).

Kashma is definitely a 14-year-old girl. In class her best friend Hadn and her talk and giggle. She rebels a little against society here by her clothes choices. She says she hates living here and she wants to go to Alaska where it's cold and she can do whatever she wants. (Alaska, really?) Her mother shares these sentiments. I thank God that I get to talk to them, listen to their frustrations, and learn from them. I pray for each of them, especially Kashma that Jesus reveals himself to her so she can find the freedom she yearns for in Christ.

Remedy Mission VI
Remedy is underway in southern Iraq this week! While I am still a little bummed that I am not down there, I am encouraged by the progress this hospital is making and desires. The stories coming out of this Remedy are beautiful. How can helping save a child's life NOT be beautiful?

Even when reading some old blog posts that are sad, that illustrate the grief parents go through when it's too late to restore their child...the beauty of forgiveness and grace still is evident to me. Thank God for this, if these qualities didn't shine through I think it would be so easier to become hard-hearted, cynical, angry and bitter about a loss. (I am not saying I'm not angry, but those posts make me want to take my anger to change the ways things are so that more children and parents are not being told it's too late.)

If you haven't check out PLC's blog to see what is going on right now in southern Iraq!

Guys
Since Lydia and Alex are in southern Iraq right now, it's been me and 5 guy interns here.

Every now and then I need to retreat to my room to paint my nails or listen to Taylor Swift or Justin Timberlake, but for the most part I could not ask for better company.

I've learned a lot about guys, but not just from your average, American guy. No, I've learned a lot from great, intelligent, Christian men. So when I get home I hope I'm not too reverse-cultured-shocked by the average American college guy now that I've grown use to be around such awesome ones.

Also, on the topic of guys, there are more male Christians in this area than women. Women are the gate-keepers of Islam here. Another reason for this may be that men have more chances to hear the Truth than women. Women are generally confined to their home, or don't really socialize outside the house with friends. This makes it even more difficult to hear the Gospel. Keep praying for these women, but know that God is so powerful and that He can reveal himself to them in other ways. I heard a story from a Life Center friend the other day and she said she has a Kurdish acquaintance who, since a young age, had visions of Jesus, and knew that she needed to be searching for who this man was. This woman is now a believer, after hearing the Word and realizing THIS was the man in her dreams.

and that is the end of this post. I hope you all are doing well. Thank so much for supporting this trip. I love being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment